Skip to content

we apologize (updated)

I just saw this sign for the first time. It reads, “Connecticut Welcomes You. Birthplace of George W. Bush. We Apologize.”

Awesome (Updated note: it turns out that this sign is a mash-up / fake, but still awesome in my opinion. See comments for more.)

Connecticut welcomes you. Birthplace of George W. Bush. We apologize.

{ 17 } Comments

1. Shield | 31 July 2008 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Is this photoshopped or does this actually exist somewhere in CT?

2. nathaniel | 31 July 2008 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I thought it was real, but it turns out it’s fake/ See here.

3. Susan | 31 July 2008 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

From the picture, it looks like it is just before the exit in downtown Greenwich, Connecticut. Pres. GHW Bush used to visit his mother there when he was in office.

4. SFC Ollie | 01 August 2008 at 3:28 am | Permalink

Deleted Answer: Get a life , and show some respect. You couldn’t walk 100 yards in President Bush’s shoes.

Violation Reason:Insulting Other Participants

5. Rick | 02 August 2008 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Nathaniel…I’m no fan of Bush, in fact I can’t stand him, but if you know it is fake why don’t you take the posting down rather than perpetuate a myth/lie as it is now being picked up by other blogs. This is your blog and I would think that a high level or integrity and honesty would be an important element. Burying the fact that it is a fake in the comments seems a bit disingenuous. Just a thought.

6. joy | 02 August 2008 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

nathaniel:
    are people actually that credulous (read: thick)? have they never heard of, um “mash-ups”, not to mention, poetic justice?

:-)

7. nathaniel | 03 August 2008 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

joy: it seems they are. thanks for the re-blog by the way. anyhow, i’ve added that it’s a mash-up / fake in the main part of the post….

8. Rick | 10 August 2008 at 1:54 am | Permalink

I’m confused by your follow-up post to Joy. It seems as though you are agreeing with her, if I read this correctly, that you believe that I was “thick” for believing in the accuracy of the sign. I appreciate that you indicated on the front page that it is a mash-up but it looks as though you were also “think” as you admitted in your comment of July 31 that you too thought it was real. I apologize in advance if I misunderstood your or Joy’s comments.

9. nathaniel | 11 August 2008 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Sorry if you feel insulted, Rick; it’s unintentional on my part. Honestly, given mash-up and internet culture and the contemporary language of images, I didn’t think it that important whether or not this was “real,” and I guess that could be read as conflicting – I thought it might be real, but didn’t really think it affected the power of the image, and only looked it up when someone else asked. I read Joy’s comment as a kind of playful banter along these same linesand went a long with it. And I put the link and text in the post because I didn’t want to perpetuate any arguments; but again, I think the image is no less powerful or funny simply because it was photoshopped.

10. Bush lover | 13 January 2009 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

That is really gay, and stupid Bush is the best president ever! Why don’t you run for president then.

11. nathaniel | 14 January 2009 at 3:10 am | Permalink

Wow! Homophobia, unsubstantiated argumentation, AND passive aggression all in one comment! Hooray for the party of Sarah Palin!

12. Time Warrior | 16 October 2009 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

This would rock if they really did this. Perhaps this should be emailed to the Governor of that state! Hahaha!

13. Dider | 25 November 2009 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

That’s so ridiculous…

Where they would put the obama’s sign?

Indonesia? everyone bought he’s from hawaii….lol

14. Bush_h8r | 01 December 2009 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Bush was a horrid president. He was ignoring evidence that something horrible like 9-11 was going to happen. He also lied.

15. some guy | 17 May 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

well guess what i just hired someone to make this sign so it might not be there but it will be in existance so deal with that

16. Danny Lem | 13 June 2010 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Actually , we should make signs that read “Welcome to America Birthplace of GW Bush , We apologize ” and out them in every international airport in our country and at every border crossing.

17. arizona Ice tea :) | 13 September 2010 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

bush sucks he ia an as hole he is the reason the country is the way it is